Consulate General of India
International Day of Yoga-2018
1. The Consulate General of India in Jaffna in association with the Ministry of Education, Cultural Affairs, Sports and Youth Affairs of the Northern Province commemorated the fourth International Day of Yoga today (21.06.2018) with the participation of over two lakh students of the Northern Province, in a true reflection of the shared cultural heritage of Sri Lanka and India.
2. The Consulate organised special functions to mark the day in one school each in the five districts of the Northern Province of Sri Lanka with the officers of the Consulate personally leading the programmes in the district headquarters. At Vembady Girls High School in Jaffna, 1800 students, St. Theresa’s Girls College, Kilinochchi, 1000 students, Viththiyanantha College, Mullaitivu, 800 students, St. Xavier’s Girls’ College, Mannar, 1000 students and Saivapragasha Ladies College, Vavuniya, 1200 students participated in these special programmes.
3. Dr. Kandiah Sarveswaran, Hon’ble Minister of Education, Cultural Affairs, Sports and Youth Affairs of the Northern Provincial Council was the Chief Guest at the Vembady Girls High School in Jaffna while in other places, the District Heads of the Department of Education graced the occasion as Chief Guests. Minister Dr. Kandiah Sarveswaran performed yogasnas along with the students and promised to take steps to include yoga in the curriculum of schools.
4. The declaration by the Northern Provincial Council to observe the International Day of Yoga 2018 in all educational institutions in the Northern Province is unique this year. In his address, the Consul General Mr.S.Balachandran specially thanked the NPC for this declaration. The Consul General also agreed to provide training in Yoga to physical education teachers of the schools of the Northern Province of Sri Lanka.
5. The local channels telecast the Yoga demonstration programme today (21/6/2018) at Dehradun, India graced by Shri Narendra Modi, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
21 June 2018