Consulate General of India
High commissioner’s visit to Northern and Eastern Provinces
1. High Commissioner H.E Gopal Baglay commenced his four-day visit to Northern and Eastern Provinces of Sri Lanka on 11 March 2021. He started his visit by attending Shivratri Pooja at the sacred Thiruketeeswaram Temple. After offering prayers at the Temple, High Commissioner reviewed the restoration project that was carried out by Government of India at the Temple. It would be recalled that this project was executed on a grant basis at a cost of SLR 326 million.
2. High Commissioner also prayed at Ramsetu (Adam’s bridge) – a connecting bridge between India and Sri Lanka over several centuries on the same day.
3. He laid the Foundation Stone for the construction of 144 transit housing units for pilgrims at the Shrine of Our Lady of Madhu in Mannar along with Hon’ble Prasanna Ranatunga, Minister of Tourism in the presence of Most Rev. Dr. Emmanuel Fernando , Bishop of Mannar, and three Hon’ble Members of Parliament - Selvam Adaikkalanathan, K. Kader Masthan and Kulasingam Dhileeban. These housing units will be built with a grant assistance from India at a cost of around SLR 300 million.
4. High Commissioner held a luncheon meeting with Hon’ble P.S.M Charles, Governor of Northern Province and other senior functionaries from the Province. They had comprehensive discussions on deeper engagement in the fields of education, skill development, health, agriculture, water and fishing.
5. High Commissioner also attended a dinner hosted in his honour by Mr. S. Balachandran, Consul General of India in Jaffna. He interacted with prominent dignitaries from political, economic, academic, social and cultural spheres. Focussed discussions at the dinner put emphasis on cooperation for development of Northern Province through increased investment and assistance from India. Government of India has a long history of carrying out development projects in diverse sectors including livelihood, health, education, industrial development in Northern and Eastern Provinces.
12 March 2021