Consulate General of India
7th International Day of Yoga
1. The Consulate General of India in Jaffna celebrated the 7th International Day of Yoga on 21 June 2021 virtually in keeping with this year’s theme “Be with Yoga, Be at Home”.
2. The programme began with a playing of the ‘Yoga Geet’ – the official anthem of the International Day of Yoga. This was followed by the inaugural address of Consul General Balachandran and video messages of greetings of the day by the Chief Guest Mr.C.V.K.Sivagnanam, Hon’ble Chairman of the Northern Provincial Council and Hon’ble Members of Parliament Mr.C.V.Wigneswaran, Mr.S.Sritharan, Mr.Angajan Ramanathan, Jaffna Mayor His Worship Mr.V.Mannivannan, Hon’ble Vice Chancellor of Jaffna University Prof.S.Srisatkunarajah, former Ministers of the Northern Provincial Council Mrs.Ananthi Sasithran, Dr.K.Sarveswaran, former Member of the Northern Provincial Council Mr.M.K.Sivajilingam and media personalities Mrs.Uma Chandraprakash and Mr.B.H.Abdul Hammeed. The yoga class students of the Consulate joined by some yoga enthusiasts performed Yogasanas led by the Yoga teacher Mr.Suriyakumar.
3. Earlier as a part of the celebrations, the Consulate in association with the Ministry of Education, Cultural Affairs, Sports and Youth Affairs of the Northern Provincial Council conducted an online Yoga quiz programme among the school students of the five districts in the Northern Province, announcing a total of SLR.2,25,000/-as the prize money withSLR.20,000/- as the first prize, SLR.15,000/- as the second prize and SLR.10,000/- as the third prize for the first three winners of each district. The Ministry has declared the winners whose names are:
|First prize||Selvi Kajorika Kumaran||Chundikuli Girls' College||6|
|Second Prize||Selvi Mayuri Thavanesan||Vembadi Girls' High School||10|
|Third Prize||Selvi P. Madhusaji||Vembadi Girls' High School||11|
|First prize||Selvi Sopana Dudley||Vavuniya Tamil Madhya Maha Vidyalayam||9|
|Second Prize||Selvan Dudley Tharmigan||Vavuniya Tamil Madhya Maha Vidyalayam||12|
|Third Prize||Selvan V.Kaviyakan||Vavuniya Tamil Madhya Maha Vidyalayam||9|
|First prize||Selvan J. Chathuranka||Central School||5|
|Second Prize||Selvan J. Abhinayan||Central School||8|
|Third Prize||Selvan S.Abhishek||Central School||6|
|First prize||Selvi Analanathan Chaturcha||Kokkuththoduvai Maha Vidhyalayam||12|
|Second Prize||Selvi Mayilvasan Subaitha||Yogapuram Maha Vidyalayam||11|
|Third Prize||Selvi Arivalaku Abishana||Oddusuddan Maha Vidiyalayam||11|
|First prize||Selvan K. Chris Darwin Peris||Arippu R.C.T.K. School||7|
|Second Prize||Selvi Tharmakulasingam Dusanthi||Iluppaikkadavai Maha Vidiyalayam||12|
|Third Prize||Selvi I. Ladusika||Kaddaiyadampan Maha Vidiyalayam||9|
4. Consul General Balachandran gave away the cash prizes to the winners from the Jaffna district during the online yoga celebration this morning (21 June). The programme ended with a vote of thanks by Consul Krishnamurthy.
5. The Consul General will present the cash prizes to the winners from the other districts at a ceremony arranged separately at the offices of the Zonal Education Directors of each district today (21 June) at Mullaitivu and Vavuniya and tomorrow (22 June) at Mannar and Kilinochchi. The Consul General will use the occasion to also present a set of musical instruments, Veena, Violin, Harmonium, Mridangam and flutes worth LKR.6,00,000/- to three schools namely Saivapragasa Girls’ College, Vavuniya; Akkarayan Maha Vidyalayam, Killinochchi; and Illuppakkadavai Tamil Maha Vidyalayam, Mannar at the ceremonies organised in the respective zonal offices.
21 June 2021