Consulate General of India
Celebrations of 08th International Day of Yoga in Jaffna
1. Consulate General of India, Jaffna, as part of the celebrations of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, organized 8th International Day of Yoga at the iconic Jaffna Culture Center, inaugurated recently by Hon’ble Dr. S. Jaishankar, External Affair Minister of India.
2. Considering the local situation in Sri Lanka along with Consulate’s efforts to promote green mode of transportation, reduce carbon footprint and create sustainable communities, Consul General along with other officials of the Consulate reached Jaffna Culture Center by bicycle.
3. The programme ceremonially began with the lighting of lamp by Hon’ble Raakesh Natraj, Consul General, Hon’ble C. V. K. Sivagnanam, Chairman, Northern Provincial Council, His Worship V. Manivannan, Mayor, Mr. R.T. Jeyaseelan, Commissioner, Jaffna Municipal Council, School Principals and members of Municipal Council, the event was also joined by Mrs. Rajamalligai Sivasuntharasarma, Director, Department of Culture Affairs, Northern Province.
4. In his special remarks, Consul General spoke about the role of Yoga in helping maintain physical and mental health, especially in difficult circumstances. Yoga signifies unity, not just of mind and body but also of individual and society/ humanity as well as man and his environment. In this context, Consul General announced that the staff of the Consulate would use public transport and bicycles as far as possible, avoiding cars.
5. Yoga Instructors Mr. Suriyakumar, Mr. Umasuthan, Ms. Kumaralingam Kokilavany and Mr. Koneswaram demonstrated “Yoga Asanas” on stage which was followed and performed by over 150 School Students and Yoga enthusiasts maintaining social distancing norms.5. A few representative photographs are enclosed.
21 June 2022