Consulate General of India
India's 74th Republic Day Celebrations in Jaffna
1. The Consulate celebrated the 74th Republic Day of India on 26 January, 2023 with the undersigned along with Major General DBSN Swarna Bothota RWP RSP USP psc, Security Forces Commander (Jaffna) paying respects at the IPKF Memorial in Palaly, Jaffna. This was followed by unfurling of the Indian flag, reading out of the Hon’ble President’s message at a function marking the occasion at the Consulate. Over 90 people, including Indian citizens, PIOs, friends of India, among others, participated in the event.
2. The Consulate, in addition, organized a cultural programme and reception marking the 74th Republic Day at the iconic Jaffna Culture Center built with Grant Assistance of the Government of India. A packed hall was treated to Dementia – an Indian Rock Band from Nagaland, sponsored by ICCR. The event was well attended, with more than 400 guests, including Chairman of the Northern Provincial Council, Members of Parliaments, Mayor of Jaffna, senior Government officials, political and religious leaders, along with Indian citizens and Persons of Indian Origin participating.
3. All Covid-19 guidelines prescribed by local authorities were adhered to strictly.
4. Earlier, commemorating the 74th Republic Day, kites representing the Indian tricolor, as well as the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav logo were flown in Jaffna, as a part of the local kite festival.
5. A few representative HD photographs from the events may be found in the following Google Drive link:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jDh4-OuP0gqU6iEpIaQswKVWyaPM8rpm?usp=share_link
26, Jan 2023